Friday, February 14, 2014

Running for Beans (or for a Cold- whichever)....






I apologize for the delay in my blogging! Turns out that 2 toddlers, a full training schedule, a dog and a husband tend to keep you busy! Not to mention I decided to take on the challenge of writing a list of “30 things to do in my 30’s” to keep me focused on me in all the chaos- so it has been CRAZY!
Nonetheless I have been able to keep up with my running program in the midst of all of it! I really wanted to get faster this year, and not just do the “twelfth mile shuffle” the whole time! So I have done the unthinkable and joined a gym. Turns out that your core is not just something you throw away after scarfing down an apple! No worries- I have plenty of embarrassing tales to come of my days in the gym!

However, as you all know, my crazy sister, is now an addict when it comes to running and in January we celebrated her birthday- and although I did tease her about her age... I figured I would leave it out of this entry.... at this current time. But a big shoutout to her and another year well spent (or well survived) with me as your sister!

Now-what do you think she wanted for her birthday?? Well, as you may already know, she wanted anyone that could to join her for a 5k. What is the problem you ask? Well her birthday is in JANUARY and we live in the Midwest. Which means it would be in the teens –at best- for temperature and most likely snowing. Well GUESS WHAT?? We were lucky enough to get BOTH!

She had won a free entry to a Battle of the Bean race (coffee vs. cocoa) and so I (begrudgingly) joined her. No worries, I think I complained more than I actually ran- but hey! I ran!

During the race, I was fortunate enough to be passed by at least 10 people in their 80's, almost wiped out on a slick spot of the pavement, and let my fellow runners know exactly which song I was jamming too on my playlist!

I told myself that this would be a race to practice my stamina- and I really surprised myself! At the moments when I wanted to stop and walk- I just slowed down and it worked. Believe it, or not, it is actually EASIER to just slow down your pace but keep running than to stop and walk! Although I didn't make my PR, I still sprinted in the finish and ran better than I have for the last 12 months!




A very happy birthday to my dear, and crazy, sister and I look forward to many more to come!

What races are you doing this year? I would love to see you at one! I have been gearing up for the Heartland Series as well as a race that I am making my sister do this year (see that turn of the table!! OH YEA!!!) And trust me, the blog entries to come from these two events will be EPIC... Promise!

And remember.... when you just don't think you are going to make it....



Many miles and blister free days to you and yours....

~K

No comments:

Post a Comment