Monday, March 10, 2014

The Learning Curve




I hope this post finds all is well and you are coming into warmer weather soon! There is nothing like running for hours without one drop of sweat to show for because you were so dang cold!







As you all know, I am still in training for the Heartland Series that my sister convinced me would be a good idea…. I am still trying to convince myself of that as well. BUT I have come to the conclusion that it won’t kill me- so why not?


I found this training set to be one of lessons- many, many lessons that you would have thought an (cough-cough) experienced runner like me would have learned by now! Who knew there would be a learning curve involved while training?



As you read through these lessons- there is no judging allowed…. Or aloud. (Okay, okay… You can do so quietly)

       1)      When you jump on and off a treadmill—verify your feet placement—every time.
 Luckily for me, when my right foot decided to not get on the side completely and almost wiped me out, no one was watching!


       2)      Reading on the treadmill helps a 6 miler pass faster

I know what you are thinking- how can you read and run? Well… first, the font is
THIS BIG
So really it’s hard not too and I cannot look up. If I MUST look up, I have to hold on first and understand to look up VERY SLOWLY. Or, it will much result like the first one… I will fall off.


       3)      Get it over with

 I am working on being a morning runner (**Gasp**) Yes… I just said the “M” Word. Crazy, right? I agree, and every time I get up at 5:15 AM I am thinking that as well. BUT do you know how much I can get done if I get a workout in before 7:00?? My house is clean, I have a bra on, my hair is brushed and the kids eat something other than dry cereal or granola bars for breakfast! Madness

     
       4)      Tighter is better

Really in all things--- it’s true. But recently I have had the opportunity to actually shed some of my baby weight and found that while running, my pants tend to fall off. And I spend much of my first few miles pulling them up until sweat helps to seal them to my body. So, off for new pants. I was tempted to by the XS pants, but after realizing I would be able to only fit those on my arms, I went after the right pair- and still ended up with a smaller than normal size at the checkout. (And yes, I wanted to ask the checker to look at the size and tell me congrats- but I refrained! Instead I texted my sister and told her to compliment me)

     
       5)      Running saves lives

 Yes, most runs are for GREAT causes and I think that is AWESOME, but I mean saving lives in the literal sense.  As you know, I LOVE my two children- blessed that God chose me as their mother, and there are so many moments I am thankful to not miss any part of their tiny little lives. HOWEVER… That love seems to need a recharge- on a consistent basis- and at these moments if I can get to the gym, or hit the pavement I am golden. And my children will survive yet another day.


       6)      Running saves marriages

My husband is my dream boat. I am a half empty cynic, and at any moment the world is ending. I trust very few people and consider even fewer people close enough to divulge my deep dark secrets (Admit it- you wanted a small bio for my awesomeness J). My husband is the EXACT opposite! God knew what he was doing with us two for sure! They only thing we have in common is that we both  love making people laugh. So after a long day with my hellions, and my husband comes home with a comedy routine about what is for dinner let me just tell you that 3 miles alone is a marriage saver. And there have been a time or two in which he has (gently) suggested that maybe I go for a run-- MAYBE I wasn't in the best form at the time. Love is a wonderful thing!


       7)      Running forces you eat better


Sometimes I really don’t like this. My running schedule really messes with my fast food and alcohol intake schedule- and it kills me. I love a good cheeseburger, greasy fries and a huge slice of cheesecake! But let me tell you—if I ate that, even my sister would not go for a run with me. I would be sick as a dog. Yes, I know, glass half empty, but sometimes I REALLY WANT TO EAT CRAP! Ah well- my waist is thankful and I know somewhere inside my skinny person is too.






       8)      Comparison is a slippery slope

Someone told me recently that I let comparison steal my joy. WHEW! It was a little early for that shot to the gut! However- it wasn’t false! How true! I am horrible at that, and when I am running and the guy next to me is running faster I tend to go slower- NOT faster because of the negative conversation in my end. So these past few weeks I have learned to use it more as motivation and to make sure I am comparing myself to myself. And when the guy on the next treadmill is going faster- I simply try it as well. (Both of those occasions were a HORRID idea- and the saying pride goes before the fall was in fact literally TRUE!)

       

       9)      You are a runner if you run

Who cares what your fastest mile is or if you can hold a conversation on mile 10? If you run, you’re a runner. I don’t know why, (refer back to my cynic nature) but for the longest time I wouldn't tell people I was a runner! I didn't think that a 14 mile average made you part of this elite club, and I suppose part of me was embarrassed. BUT NOT ANYMORE! Doggonit, I wake up at 5:00 am to do this stuff, I spend so much money on running gear and entry fees that I am surprised my husband hasn't made me pull out a loan! I have had more mishaps on a treadmill and trail than anyone I know; I have missed family time, and (mostly) sleep for this habit. I am a runner- and guess what that means if you are out there trying—SO ARE YOU! Be proud of it and own it- flaunt your hotness and make it count!


     
       10)   What doesn't kill you…

…Makes you stronger. It just does. From morning running, to seeing a 7 mile run as “quick”, I have been amazed at how far I have come. It doesn’t matter how fast you are, whether you run/lift/box, or how good you look doing it (because no one looks good exercising). What matters is that you are doing it! Rock on with your bad self and keep up the awesome work!! I have seen so many friends choose to take on big hairy audacious health goals this year and I am so blessed to be surrounded by such awe-inspiring people! Keep it up—you keep me going!






As the training continues- so does the learning. I doubt that part will ever stop (and here I was SURE I knew it all!!) I would love to hear from you and how things are going! Keep inspiring me- it keeps me going and have a GREAT week this week!



Happy trails to you!


~K

No comments:

Post a Comment