Friday, October 20, 2017

#.10... Doing hard things

I know you have been anxiously awaiting one of the biggest things I have learned this season. And it’s a big one. It’s going to SHOCK you!


Drum-roll
please……

#.10—I CAN do hard things

Seems self-explanatory, right? But I cannot tell you how many people I have heard say “I could never do that.” But, have you asked yourself why not??



Over the miles, hours and trails I have bled, cursed and cried.
But I pressed on.

I have had great runs, bad runs and everything in between.
But I pressed on.

I have fallen behind and questioned the very reason I signed up to race.
But I pressed on.

I CAN do hard things. And so can YOU.



When I started this season, I had a theme. In everything. I didn’t want to be the version of me I was settling for. Where everything I tried was a complimentary finisher’s medal and everyone gave out high fives. Now, before you puff out your chest about the finishers medal, let’s clarify, do I have a problem with them? Absolutely not. The struggle in running is REAL. But for me, I wanted to EARN it. WORK for it. And to beat the me, I knew I wasn’t. I had (3) young sets of eyes watching- it was time to show them that you can change if you try. More times than not, I heard my sister say out loud "you can do hard things" and how very right she was! 

It’s hard. It’s really, really, really hard. Your internal voice can make or break you. You know the one that whispers all day long? I’m sure most of my training season was spent simply changing that dialogue. From what I ate, to how I looked in mirror and what my finishing time was- it was hard to correct those whispers! Is it perfect now? No. But would I let ANYONE say the things I was saying to myself, to my kids? Hell no. In fact, that would end badly- for them. I have a bit of a temper problem, and confrontations don’t bother me. So why was it ok to say them to myself?

I know this very special woman, and for many years her mantra has been “I can’t” due to many different  reasons she had. And she believed that story, because that is what she told herself on a daily basis. Guess what? Someone finally convinced her she COULD and now she works out 5-6 days a week doing a workout called SHRED. And let me tell you- it’s HARD! I went a few times with her and barely walked out alive! But she believed she could. Then she did. And she still is!



I am sure you can relate- I have heard some of the men and women in my own tribe say the most negative things about themselves. But guess what, in running, those things come out on the pavement. As soon as you say “I can’t do this”—you won’t. 

BUT let me offer this. WHAT IF you said “I can”, just for arguments sake? What if you signed up tomorrow for something you have always wanted to achieve and your inner mantra became “I can do this”? 
(And you better tell me what you sign up for—I am 100% in!)




It was time. I needed to change me. I pushed. I tried a new morning class that terrified me. I gave up VERY important food groups. I was done crying to my husband about the old me, and making changes to be the new me. Don’t get me wrong, my soapbox isn’t so tall that I can’t admit that I still fight the old me- I do- every morning when the alarm goes off. But I have learned if I simply show up, I am miles ahead of who I used to be.





This race will mark the FIRST time I have raced with a mental voice saying I can. This is the first time I have publicly put a goal out there to achieve. And as terrifying as it is to do so, here goes….

In 2011 I ran this race with a finishing time of 3:09:46.
In 2013 I ran this race with a finishing time of 3:09:36.
In 2014 I achieved my best half marathon time (on a different course) coming in at 2:43:57.
Which one do I want to beat?
All. Of. Them.

And when I do it (see what I did there?), yes I will most likely ugly cry. All over my little brother. And he will mildly panic.



Before I jump off the soap box, one last thing. I would like to implore you to find those running (in this race, or the next), and shout out to the mountains of awesomeness they possess. Text them, call them, put it on social media—who cares?! Just do it. This shit is hard. When someone simply says (true story) “Good luck on Saturday, you’ll rock it!” it does wonders for that inner voice. It does so much for both your soul and your soles. Your tribe is vital in many; many ways- show your running friends much love when you hear of their endeavors! And then jump on this crazy bandwagon and join us. If you are reading this and already part of this big crazy world-- you ARE AMAZING and you are overcoming HARD things!! Fist pump to you, my friend.



Tomorrow my crazy sole sisters (and our pacing brother) will embark on a journey of more self-discovery then I can ever put into words. Thank you for being a fan.

Love and Miles,



Ps… I have now gotten off of my soapbox. Safely and slowly. No need for injuries.




No comments:

Post a Comment